Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

From: Ivan Marsh <ivanmarsh_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 13:08:28 -0500

On Thu, 08 May 2008 10:53:03 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> On May 8, 1:21 pm, Ivan Marsh <ivanma..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > Just for the sake of argument...
>>
>> > Countless corporations and research organizations do not use Linux.
>>
>> > They use Enterprise Linux. Big difference.
>>
>> > They use a Linux which is supported by a credible organization
>> > (RedHat, HP, IBM, Oracle and a *few* more). That leaves more than 99%
>> > of distros out.
>>
>> My company is 24th in the world in it's industry (which is pretty damn
>> good considering we're a 10th the size of our competition)... We run
>> BlueHat, Fedora and OpenSuse... I've never needed the support of the
>> distribution manufacturer.
>>
>> > I am talking about "corporate/enterprise servers" strictly. I (and
>> > Oracle) couldn't care less about the desktop.
>>

> > ...or any of the myriad other things Linux is used for in the world
> apparently.
>
> For the purposes of this thread, I don't.
>
> If you want to discuss desktop, you are invited to join another thread
> of yours truly:
>
> "Apple should Acquire Sun"
>
> in the Solaris NG.

...at what point was I talking about desktop? If anything I've been talking about anything but.

> BTW: There are at least two widely used OSS packages in which yours
> truly is mentioned in the contributors and thanks sections.
>

>> Linux is NOT a PC operating system.

> ...and Oracle is not a PC product or company.

...and Oracle choosing a distro that they will support is perfectly acceptable... despite the fact that even they use a kernel branched off of RedHat. For that to get mixed up in the "there should only be one Linux disto" argument, as this has, is ignorant.

--
"Remain calm, we're here to protect you!"