Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 09:54:30 -0700 (PDT)

On May 7, 5:36 pm, Ramon F Herrera <ra..._at_conexus.net> wrote:
> On May 7, 8:33 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 7, 8:27 pm, Ramon F Herrera <ra..._at_conexus.net> wrote:
>
> > > "One Oracle exec said there should be only one Linux distribution —
> > > Red Hat — and claimed there will be no fragmentation of that code
> > > base.
>
> > > In an interview with the Linux Foundation recently, Oracle’s chief
> > > corporate architect said Oracle Unbreakable Linux is not a product but
> > > a support program and he believes that there ought to be only one
> > > Linux distribution — his rival’s code base."
>
> > > [...]
>
> > >http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2393
>
> > > -RFH
>
> > Or maybe this is a way of saying Oracle bit-off (pun) more than it
> > chew.  One way to improve relations with Red Hat is to give them
> > credit for the OS and to provide strong support for Oracle on Linux
> > including the Linux pieces for a fee.
>
> > IMHO -- Mark D Powell --
>
> Oracle supports -as they should- exactly ONE distribution for every
> OS.
>
> - One Macintosh distribution (if they ever supported the Mac)
> - One IBM mainframe distribution (MVS)
> - One Solaris
> - One AIX
> - One HP-UX
> - One Windows
>
> and, last but not least:
>
> - One Linux distribution
>
> Why should Linux be different?
>
> -Ramon-

Because it's a mess the way things are done now. Oracle should put together a distribution that works out of the box.

Part of the problem with linux/oracle is it still requires a lot of configuration that can be screwed up. Most of this could be easily fixed with simple automatic, text-driven (so easily maintainable when there are new possibilities) scripts. I say, "fork Redhat. And it's mama, too."

Not that I use it, I gave up on linux years ago, after being quite the supporter. Funny, it has evolved, but I haven't. Ten years ago I was predicting shrink-wrapped oracle/linux apps within a couple of years. I was wrong.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.sgi.admin/browse_thread/thread/d4c1f7c0fe672a4/fa920d2ada0ef8fa?lnk=st&q=#fa920d2ada0ef8fa I've come to the opinion that linux as sold/supported is a toy OS running on toy hardware, and RAC on it is a ridiculous complication that has the effect of making poor hardware less reliable. Did I say that out loud?

And in your other post where you said "Oracle servers are dedicated, high performance, expensive computers inside a server room. If you want to keep your cooking recipes in a database, use something else." What do you make of XE? I just yesterday implemented one as a remote production server, so I can push data out without worrying about lots of things like strange places accessing my dedicated etc. computer inside a server room. And when you work for a pharmaceutical manufacturer, cooking recipes are more critical than you might think.

Please don't crosspost between cdo.server and cdo.misc.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Did you really think it would be that easy??"