Re: splitting a string into columns

From: kes <abirch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 08:18:02 -0700 (PDT)

> > Alex
>
> Why does this require a stored procedure and where's the pivot?
> --

Thank you for following up.

The csv1 and csv2 columns are a format for RNA sequences that have been modified. This is why these CSV values are stored in the database, it's usually been sufficient for our needs over the past 2 years. Now people want to see the different individual values.

e.g., xA,yG,U,G,xG

would be stored as value csv1, now people would like to see, is there a correlation between U in the third location and this RNA sequence's efficacy.

the reason for the pivot is I could use level in a select statement to select

1, xA
2, yG
3, U
4, G
5, xG

then pivot it to
id, csv1_1, csv1_2, csv1_3, csv1_4, csv1_5 3, xA, yG, U, G, xG

using dynamic SQL and decode.

I was just hoping for a more elegant solution. Received on Fri May 02 2008 - 10:18:02 CDT

Original text of this message