Re: Looking for oracle/sql tutorials and advice

From: travel2light <everything2light_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 06:26:24 -0700 (PDT)

On 27 Apr, 08:28, William Robertson <williamr2..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:

> 1. I'm not sure if you want to reorganise your schema design, move
> data between tables (insert ... select) or restore to a point in time
> (select ... as of timestamp ..., or flashback table/database though I
> don't think XE provides that). Did you delete the original data?

I didn't delete the original data, but it was replaced with an ID corresponding to the data in the lookup table. So for example the employees table had a column called 'JOB_ID'. What has happened is that all the JOB_ID's have been automatically moved to a separate table with a Unique Key - and the JOB_ID column (in the employees table) was replaced with a new column 'JOB_ID_ID' which has values corresponding the the Unique Key on the new lookup table. I did this by mistake (it is a redundancy because there is already a table called 'jobs' which lists all of the Job_ID's and their definitions).

I haven't learnt how to do restorations or reorganising schema design or flashbacks. Maybe I am jumping ahead of myself.

> 2. I'm not sure this has much to do with foreign keys. It sounds like
> an Application Express question about how to define a button that pops
> up a selection list populated from a query. I'm sure there there's a
> way but I'm afraid I don't know Apex.

I haven't studied Application Express yet so I don't know if that is what I am looking for. I noticed that oracle will display a button (on a form) for entering dates. This is the kind of thing I am looking for.

I'm beginning to realise that I am probably jumping too far ahead of myself. I think what I really need is a road map of progressive topics I need to study. Are there any books or tutorials that explain the key concepts of oracle without going into too much detail?

Michael Received on Sun Apr 27 2008 - 08:26:24 CDT

Original text of this message