Re: CPU 2008 upgrade

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:29:22 -0700

C C wrote:
> Hello.
> We are running Oracle RAC and we received
> a note from Oracle to apply CPU 2008 upgrade. However,
> this upgrade requires Oracle RAC So we are now
> trying to schedule upgrade of to
> Anybody here who has applied CPU 2008 upgrade? Is it
> worth spending downtime for the upgrade to
> then CPU 2008 upgrade? We have to backup the entire
> database then all Oracle binaries before we
> begin the upgrade.
> Thanks in advance for you input.

No one can answer your question about whether it is worth the downtime except you, your management, and your organization's attorney. We don't apply CPU patches for fun. We install them to better secure our systems against hacking and data theft.

Bet these people wish they had paid more attention to such matters:

Compared to this ... a little downtime is a total irrelevancy.

And there are plenty more where these three links were found.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group