Re: Query using group

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 05:50:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 23, 7:35 am, Prasath <prasath...._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> i have a table with 4 columns, they look like
>
> currency1 currency2 amt1 amt2
> =======================
> USD GBP 10 9
> GBP USD 5 8
> JPY INR 20 7
> INR JPY 14 100
>
> i want to cross add the amounts for each group of currency1 and
> currency2. now, the currency groups are bit unusal. For example,
> the first two rows in the above table fall under the group USD+GBP (or
> GBP+USD, the other does not matter)
>
> the result should look like
>
> currency1 currency2 sum1 sum2
> USD GBP 18 14 (from 10+8 and 9+5)
> INR JPY 120 21 (from 20+100 and 14+7)
>
> any ideas?

what have you tried?
I can imagine a simple UNION may help. Then you will need a way to weed out the "duplicates", e.g.
USD GBP 18 14
GBP USD 14 18
Show us what you tried and then we can help. (This is to avoid doing someone's homework for them.)

Awaiting your reply,

   ed Received on Wed Apr 23 2008 - 07:50:31 CDT

Original text of this message