Q: something like rownum

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 17 Apr 2008 10:26:39 -0800

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0

This sounds like it should be super simple, but I can't think how to do it using plain SQL.

I am going to display some rows, and I want to number them in the display, like using rownum, except that the number only goes up when the row has some property (I don't care if it displays or not when it doesn't go up).

To explain, imagine

	select rownum  , the_date , to_char(dates.the_date,'DY') DAY
	from my_table
	order by the_date

shows

	1       1-Jan-2008	TUE
	2       2-Jan-2008	WED
	3	3-Jan-2008	THU
	4       4-Jan-2008	FRI
	5       5-Jan-2008	SAT
	6       6-Jan-2008	SUN
	7       7-Jan-2008	MON
	8       8-Jan-2008	TUE

but I don't want to count the weekend. what I want to show would be the following instead

	1       1-Jan-2008      TUE
	2       2-Jan-2008      WED
	3       3-Jan-2008      THU
	4       4-Jan-2008      FRI
	        5-Jan-2008      SAT
	        6-Jan-2008      SUN
	5       7-Jan-2008      MON
	6       8-Jan-2008      TUE

Looks simple, but how to do this in plain SQL?

Feedback welcome, thanks.

Malcolm Received on Thu Apr 17 2008 - 13:26:39 CDT

Original text of this message