Hierarchical Subquery must omit nodes

From: Chris L. <diversos_at_uol.com.ar>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:16:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I thought this would be easy but it's turning out to be pretty difficult.

I need a hierarchical query to omit nodes present in a EXCLUDED_NODES table.
Omitted nodes' children should be omitted too.

See this example taken from http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96540/functions121a.htm#88362

SELECT LPAD(' ', 2*level-1)||SYS_CONNECT_BY_PATH(last_name, '/') "Path"

   FROM employees
   START WITH last_name = 'Kochhar'
   CONNECT BY PRIOR employee_id = manager_id;

Path

 /Kochhar
/Kochhar/Greenberg
     /Kochhar/Greenberg/Faviet
     /Kochhar/Greenberg/Chen
     /Kochhar/Greenberg/Sciarra
     /Kochhar/Greenberg/Urman
     /Kochhar/Greenberg/Popp

/Kochhar/Whalen
/Kochhar/Mavris
/Kochhar/Baer
/Kochhar/Higgins

     /Kochhar/Higgins/Gietz

If I have Greenberg in EXCLUDED_NODES then output should be

Path

 /Kochhar
/Kochhar/Whalen
/Kochhar/Mavris
/Kochhar/Baer
/Kochhar/Higgins

     /Kochhar/Higgins/Gietz

Excluded node can be in any depth of the hierarchy (i.e. it could be Gietz and then Gietz and all of its dependent sub-tree should be pruned)

I've tried filtering the START WITH and works great but doesn't help when the excluded node is somewhere deep in the hierarchy.

I've tried filtering the CONNECT BY but it cannot contain subqueries (manual states this).

I've tried using the SYS_CONNECT_BY_PATH to parse it and see if it contains an excluded node but I got an Ora-00600 error.

ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [rworupo.2], [26670], [1], [], [], [], [], []

Oracle version is 9i

Thanks in advance!
Chris Received on Wed Apr 16 2008 - 12:16:42 CDT

Original text of this message