Requesting Basic Info about Oracle ERP

From: TC <golemdanube_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:26:57 -0700 (PDT)

Tomorrow, I have a job interview. The company is looking for someone who has experience with "Oracle ERP". I've never used Oracle ERP, but I have used SAP, and that was good enough to get me the interview. To prepare, I'd like to learn as much as I can about Oracle ERP. Unfortunately, I'm unable to find good information about it. Can anyone help me with some basic information?

From my research so far, I believe that "Oracle ERP" is not a product or even a suite of products, but simply a term used generally to refer to various Oracle enterprise applications, like Oracle Financials and Oracle Human Resources. Is that true?

I'm guessing that this company uses Oracle ERP software for some combination of finance, HR, procurement, manufacturing, and sales. Are there Oracle applications corresponding to all of those categories? What are they named, and where can I go to experience the look and feel of those applications?

As a database guy, what I really want to know is what the data model looks like for the various parts of Oracle ERP. Also, what are the reporting tools? How good are they, and how rigid?

As an aside, let me mention that I went to the Oracle website for this research and I found it practically useless. My impression is that they are focused on providing services, not products; there is very little information about products and applications, and a lot of emphasis on "solutions". That may be fine for corporate sales, but it gives me no sense of what I'm going to actually see when they fire up "Oracle ERP", and what I need to know in advance to talk about it intelligently.

If anyone can offer advice, I'd be grateful.

-TC Received on Tue Apr 08 2008 - 12:26:57 CDT

Original text of this message