Re: migrate ORACLE TO SQL

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:16:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 2, 12:48 pm, "news.free.fr" <grill..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am desperatly looking for a tool that could migrate an oracle DB (tables,
> PK, possibly some views triggers and SP).
> I am trying to migrate tables from oracle 10.2 to a MS SQL 2005.
> I thought oracle sql developper would do this but it migrates only from sql
> to oracle.
> The datatypes of the source tables (from Oracle) are number, varchar2,date)
> My difficulty is to properly map the oracle datatype to SQL.
> Does anyone have an idea?
> thanks for helping

If you only have a few tables to do then manually mapping the columns is usually easy in the absense of LOB, long, and nvarchar columns.

varchar2 ==> varchar
date ==> datetime
number ==> integer, float, decimal, money, etc ... depending on number value precision, scale, and value range.

CLOB and Long would likely text columns.

But if you know Oracle and PL/SQL these are far superior products to SQL Server 2K or 5K and T-SQL.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Apr 03 2008 - 11:16:13 CDT

Original text of this message