Re: Oracle client and vs studio 2003 and vb code

From: BookerT <chipw_at_mierbo.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 04:27:40 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: <88e6fc5f-dc18-46a8-87d0-38783f40b8bb@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>


On Mar 26, 4:59 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
> On Mar 25, 9:50 am, BookerT <ch..._at_mierbo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Hopefully, I frame this problem/question correctly.
>
> > I have some code written/updated in visual studio 2003. This code when
> > setup on other machines where I have installed the Oracle 9i client,
> > and the Oracle 9.? odbc drivers will connect to my oracle database
> > when debugging. I ported the SAME code onto a new machine, installed
> > visual studio 2003, installed IIS, installed the .net frameworks 1
> > thru 3, registered the .net framework but when I am going through the
> > code and it attempts to open a
> > connection to the database, I get the following error below and like i
> > said, the same code works on other machines, with the same odbc
> > drivers, so i can't remember what step or proces i am missing to make
> > sure that the code knows how to recognize that the oracle client is
> > installed.:
>
> > Server Error in '/dev' Application.
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> > Oracle client and networking components were not found. These
> > components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the
> > Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation. Provider
> > is unable to function until these components are installed.
> > Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of
> > the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more
> > information about the error and where it originated in the code.
>
> > Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Oracle client and
> > networking components were not found. These components are supplied by
> > Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later
> > client software installation. Provider is unable to function until
> > these components are installed.
>
> > Source Error:
>
> > Line 366: Shared Function OpenDatabase(ByVal gsConnectionString As
> > String) As OleDbConnection
> > Line 367: Dim cn As New OleDbConnection(gsConnectionString)
> > Line 368: cn.Open()
> > Line 369: Return cn
> > Line 370: End Function
>
> > Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Dev\Global.asax.vb Line: 368
>
> > Stack Trace:
>
> > [OleDbException (0x80004005): Oracle client and networking components
> > were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation
> > and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software
> > installation.
>
> > Provider is unable to function until these components are installed.]
> > System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(I nt32 hr)
> > System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvid er()
> > System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
> > GT.Global.OpenDatabase(String gsConnectionString) in C:\Inetpub
> > \wwwroot
> > \Dev\Global.asax.vb:368
> > GT.StudentSearch.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Inetpub
> > \wwwroot\Dev\StudentSearch.aspx.vb:31
> > System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
> > System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
> > System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()
>
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032;
> > ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032
>
> > ************************************************** *********
>
> > A snippet of the code that makes the connection is a s follows
>
> > gsConnectionString = OLEDB_PROVIDER & "User ID=username;Password=" &
> > DB_DEV_ADMIN_PASSWORD & ";Data Source=mdevl.domain.com"
>
> > where OLEDB_PROVIDER =
>
> > Public Const OLEDB_PROVIDER As String = "Provider=MSDAORA.1;"
>
> > Dim cn As OleDbConnection = OpenDatabase(gsConnectionString)
>
> > Shared Function OpenDatabase(ByVal gsConnectionString As String) As
> > OleDbConnection
> > Dim cn As New OleDbConnection(gsConnectionString)
> > cn.Open()
> > Return cn
> > End Function
>
> > Oracle Pl/SQL connects just fine. The odbc connections to mdevl are
> > working just fine
>
> > What gives
>
> Based on the linked databases I have built in SQL Server to talk to
> Oracle ODBC uses the Oracle client to actually connect to Oracle. You
> must install the Oracle client on the new machine, configure
> tnsnames.ora, and set up your ODBC driver, which references the Oracle
> service/sid found in the tnsnames.ora file.
>
> With .net this may not be an absolute requirement but I would think
> you would have to code a thin client connection like with java so your
> code would be different that what you have on the older server.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

The answer ended up being, I had to install the Oracle Odac for .net information, then was able to debug. I think i used version 9.2 Received on Sun Mar 30 2008 - 06:27:40 CDT

Original text of this message