Oracle client and vs studio 2003 and vb code

From: BookerT <chipw_at_mierbo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 06:50:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hopefully, I frame this problem/question correctly.

I have some code written/updated in visual studio 2003. This code when setup on other machines where I have installed the Oracle 9i client, and the Oracle 9.? odbc drivers will connect to my oracle database when debugging. I ported the SAME code onto a new machine, installed visual studio 2003, installed IIS, installed the .net frameworks 1 thru 3, registered the .net framework but when I am going through the code and it attempts to open a
connection to the database, I get the following error below and like i said, the same code works on other machines, with the same odbc drivers, so i can't remember what step or proces i am missing to make sure that the code knows how to recognize that the oracle client is installed.:

Server Error in '/dev' Application.

Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation. Provider is unable to function until these components are installed. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation. Provider is unable to function until these components are installed.

Source Error:

Line 366: Shared Function OpenDatabase(ByVal gsConnectionString As String) As OleDbConnection

Line 367: Dim cn As New OleDbConnection(gsConnectionString)
Line 368: cn.Open()
Line 369: Return cn
Line 370: End Function

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Dev\Global.asax.vb Line: 368

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80004005): Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation.

Provider is unable to function until these components are installed.]

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(I nt32 hr)
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvid er()
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
GT.Global.OpenDatabase(String gsConnectionString) in C:\Inetpub
\wwwroot
\Dev\Global.asax.vb:368

GT.StudentSearch.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Inetpub
\wwwroot\Dev\StudentSearch.aspx.vb:31
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032
  • *********

A snippet of the code that makes the connection is a s follows

gsConnectionString = OLEDB_PROVIDER & "User ID=username;Password=" & DB_DEV_ADMIN_PASSWORD & ";Data Source=mdevl.domain.com"

where OLEDB_PROVIDER =

Public Const OLEDB_PROVIDER As String = "Provider=MSDAORA.1;"

Dim cn As OleDbConnection = OpenDatabase(gsConnectionString)

Shared Function OpenDatabase(ByVal gsConnectionString As String) As OleDbConnection
Dim cn As New OleDbConnection(gsConnectionString) cn.Open()
Return cn
End Function

Oracle Pl/SQL connects just fine. The odbc connections to mdevl are working just fine

What gives Received on Tue Mar 25 2008 - 08:50:03 CDT

Original text of this message