Re: Oracle Auto Commit during transaction.

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:55:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 16, 7:47 pm, PowerOne <salazar.wi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I need a massive update.
>
> So the only way to avoid error and the update
> is to increase the UNDO tablespace size
> or update one by one record.
>
> Thank you.

But you said thousands. That's not generally very massive. How big is your undo, and how much are you using? What errors are you seeing? How exactly are you updating? Mark and David both have valid points, we need a lot more information even to convince us that undo is your issue. If you are only doing thousands, I suspect you would have concurrency issues if you are seeing problems. But you might be doing the fetch across commits mistake if you are getting ORA-1555.

There are proper ways to commit every x records, but they require more work than most people will put out, and when it comes down to it, it is basically splitting up the logical unit of work into pieces.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.popsci.com/how-it-works/article/2008-03/popsci-presents-how-it-works