Best practice for loading data into relational tables

From: Anoop <anoopkumarv_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:19:16 -0700 (PDT)

I am not sure if I can word this right. But I am trying to explore the best way of loading data into about 40-50 oracle tables. We have collected the data through various means / formats - some are in text files, excel, some that we know need to be arranged etc..

The way we are doing it now, is to write insert statements for every line of data. So the actual arrangement of the data and writing the insert sql's are happening simultaneously. But there are many issues in writing insert sql's. The primary being debugging, - once I run the file containing all inserts, I get "1 row loaded" - doesnt really tell me which sql ran - each line runs independent of the row above or below it, the file just helps me run them all together, that is all. The other issue (related to the first) is if the tables are related then I need to order my inserts so that the primary key gets inserted before the child/foreign keys. This is a very manual process and I do not think this can be automated much.

So I am thinking probably my approach is wrong - maybe I should deal with the data load in a different manner - is there any best practice that I could use? How have you guys handled data loads of medium size ~10000 rows going into 40 tables that are related to one another?

Thanks. Received on Sun Mar 16 2008 - 01:19:16 CDT

Original text of this message