Return multiple copies of same row in table with sequence number

From: <egnew_at_charter.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:20:20 -0800 (PST)

I want to return multiple copies of data from a table but do not understand how to accomplish this. The following code works to return a fixed number of copies but I cannot determine how to replace the constant with a variable. How do I do this and is there an easier way?

I need to print numbered certificates for an employee. I can use the following sql to generate a fixed number of certificates but the number I need is in a field on the record.

select x.SeqNo,e.EmployeeNo,e.EmployeeName   from Employees e,
(select rownum SeqNo from dual connect by level <= 3) x
  where e.EmployeeNo = 78
order by SeqNo

This returns:

1 78 Joe
2 78 Joe
3 78 Joe

What I need is:

select x.SeqNo,e.EmployeeNo,e.EmployeeName   from Employees e,
(select rownum SeqNo from dual connect by level <=
e.CertificateCount) x
  where e.EmployeeNo = 78
order by SeqNo

However the above SQL returns ORA-00904: "H"."LICENSECOUNT": invalid identifier.

I have tried a number of other approaches but none have worked.

Thanks. Received on Fri Mar 07 2008 - 19:20:20 CST

Original text of this message