Re: UTL_FILE.PUT_LINE

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:36:12 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 4, 1:18 pm, "ame..._at_iwc.net" <ame..._at_iwc.net> wrote:
> Does UTL_FILE.PUT_LINE have a limitation on the length of the string
> you are printing to file?
>
> I have a variable declares, VARCHAR2(4000).  I print it to a log
> file.  However, I have figured out that if I print more than 1000
> characters, the procedure just stops......
>
> Anyone?

Had you taken the time to read the documentation on UTL_FILE you'd realize that the FOPEN call accepts a MAX_LINESIZE parameter, which, if not supplied, defaults to 1024:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14258/u_file.htm#i1005018

Examining Example 2 on that page explains much.

The problem, therefore, isn't with the PUT_LINE call but in how you opened the file.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Mar 04 2008 - 13:36:12 CST

Original text of this message