Re: import where char set is different - ORA-01461

From: david <davidhooey_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 06:40:04 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 26, 9:16 pm, Luch <DarthL..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> One of our customers sent us an export dmp which we're trying to
> import. Their database uses a character set that is West European or
> MSWIN, whereas ours is Unicode. During the import, we get this error:
>
> . . importing table "DEFECT_REPORT"
> IMP-00058: ORACLE error 1461 encountered
> ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column
> IMP-00018: partial import of previous table completed: 614870 rows
> imported
>
> The table contains two columns that are varchar2(4000). We believe
> this, along with the difference in character set, is the source of the
> problem. We think there are certain records that have data, that in a
> certain char set, are "too big" to fit into the same column once the
> database is in another character set.
>
> The question is, is this assessment correct? And if so, what are the
> right steps to correct this, if I want to keep my database as Unicode?
> Should I try to look for the records that are causing this problem,
> and "truncate" them prior to the customer doing the export, etc?

Is the varchar2 column defined as varchar2(4000 byte) or varchar2(4000 char)? This may be the reason the data will not fit. Using varchar2(4000 char) will allow for 4000 characters. As already stated, the UTF-8 encoding will use multiple bytes to represent characters higher than U+007F.

Dave Received on Wed Feb 27 2008 - 08:40:04 CST

Original text of this message