Re: Connecting to Oracle with Access front end via VBA

From: news.verizon.net <kennedyii_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 05:18:03 GMT

"RLN" <rlntemp-gng_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8fa00c55-64a9-4c7f-af88-54dc4b197ca5_at_o10g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

> There are some Oracle tables from a production database that my app
> will link to after some enhancements are made. The enhancement
> consist of needing to link to two Oracles tables to run a make-table
> quiery (which will create another local Access table)
>
> I have heard that to connect to an Oracle table totally via VBA code,
> that it is indeed not possible, because the end user's workstation
> must have 3 things:
> 1) the Oracle client installed
> 2) must have a TNSNAMES.ORA file with a reference to the backend db.
> 3) an ODBC data source must be set up separately on the workstation.
>
> Is this true? Can Oracle tables be linked to an Access DB (with none
> of the three above present) long enough for an extract, then
> disconnected? I have experienced many headaches with older apps with
> an Oracle back ends, because I learn the user's workstation was re-
> imaged and they therefore lost the 3 items I mentioned above.
> Reconfiguring ODBC connection services on the client is cumbersome.
>
> If there is a simple solution via VBA that would be a life saver.
>
> Thanks.
> -------
> RLN

You need the Oracle client installed on the client to acess Oracle. You should look at using Apex (application express) by Oracle instead of Access. Then you don't need to install anything on the client except a web browser. (which they probably already have) Very primitive to suck down a table to work on it locally; very 1990ish.
Jim Received on Fri Feb 22 2008 - 23:18:03 CST

Original text of this message