Re: PLSQL training CBT

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 18 Feb 2008 16:51:58 -0800

christophercash_at_hotmail.com wrote:
: Hi Guys,

: We are taking on a couple of junior PLSQL programmers straight out of
: university who are well versed with the basics of PLSQL. We will
: provide a level of on site training but would like them to have a more
: thorough level of understanding of the topics such as creating PLSQL
: blocks; packages, triggers, procedures, functions, cursors etc etc
: before letting them loose on our systems!.

: Rather than sending them on an expensive oracle course, we have
: decided to do much of the training on site with CBT's and integrate
: them within our Oracle development team.

As someone else also queried, I am rhetorically curious about how these programmers are "well versed" and yet still need training in "blocks..." etc.

Anyway, regardless of that, I wouldn't do this.

Instead you need to allocate a supervisor to each new programmer. The supervisor should tell them exactly what to do. As the new programmer shows their capabilities then the supervisor gives them more leeway. Some new programmers may show themselves capable of independent work within a day, and some may require a number of months or more.

When I say "tell them exactly what to do" I mean instructions such as (E.g.)

  • use this revision tool to check out this file into this directory.
  • dont check it back in until I approve the change (dont give them permission to check it back in).
  • create a function called LateWidgetCalc, with these parameters.
  • Place it in the package so the package remains alphabetically organized.
  • Base all the code for your function on the existing function "EarlyWidgetCalc", similar cursors, etc, except using "Late" instead of "Early" in the various names.
  • This is the definition of a "late" widget, so modify the sql to use that logic instead.

etc etc etc. Received on Mon Feb 18 2008 - 18:51:58 CST

Original text of this message