Re: desc plus; something that shows constraints too?

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 06:33:58 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 18, 3:07 am, Robert Klemme <> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 12:15 am, wrote:
> > Rookie here. Is there a sqlplus command, something like desc, that
> > also lists column contraints?
> There are different ways depending on what you want to achieve. There
> is PS/SQL package DBMS_METADATA and there are views like
> Kind regards
> robert

Oracle provides access to pretty much every piece of information about database objects via the rdbms dictionary views. Here is a short article on some of the most useful views:

How do I find information about a database object: table, index, constraint, view, etc... in Oracle ?

To answer your question the following query might be of interest:

  select search_condition
  from all_constraints
  where table_name = 'xxxxx'
  and owner = 'yyyy'
  and constraint_type = 'C'

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Feb 18 2008 - 08:33:58 CST

Original text of this message