Re: Temporary tables in memory using PL/SQL (as a workaround for not having CREATE TABLE privs)?

From: <dananrg_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:37:57 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 14, 2:44 pm, Urs Metzger <u..._at_ursmetzger.de> wrote:
> Why not just insert the records and delete the old ones afterwards?

Thanks Urs. Some of the columns in the child tables I need to update are part of composite primary keys. In your first example, you update a foreign key value.

For some reason, I thought it wasn't possible to update values that were part of a primary key. I didn't think it was allowed. Using JavaBeans, I've been told, it isn't allowed. Is it bad practice to update values that are part of a primary key? Was it ever not allowed in any version of Oracle? Not sure where I got that idea from, but your first example works fine.

Anyone care to comment on the goodness or badness of updating values in a composite primary key rather than making copies of rows, deleting the old rows, then re-inserting updated versions of the copied rows?

I did come up with a way of doing what I needed using "collections of records" in PL/SQL before I saw your reply. That seems to work. I have not tried your example #2 yet. I can post it if anyone is interested. Received on Fri Feb 15 2008 - 13:37:57 CST

Original text of this message