Re: Oracle skip numbers

From: William Robertson <williamr2019_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:42:51 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 12, 8:53 am, "vasilis" <vasil..._at_ics.forth.gr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When using Powerbuilder with Oracle, in some cases oracle skips numbers.
> What I mean is that when the ID column has a value of 100, instead of
> getting the next value(101) I get 102 or 103 anything but not the next. It
> updates the same row from 100 to 103 and of course as you might imagine I
> can not retrieve the row of 100. How this problem may be solved(Not updating
> the id column to a different value).

First, I would guess that not many people here use Powerbuilder, so if this behaviour is linked to some standard feature of the product then you had better explain exactly what it is. What is the relevance of Powerbuilder specifically?

As for how to stop "Oracle" from updating primary key columns, it may be necessary for you to look at the application code and see what it's doing. Why is it updating the ID column at all, when from what you say it should not? It is possible that the code contains what we programmers call a "bug". Received on Wed Feb 13 2008 - 01:42:51 CST

Original text of this message