Re: Optimize Table

From: <mansoor531_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:56:28 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 31, 8:35 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 8:56 am, "news.verizon.net" <kenned..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > <mansoor..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> >news:b31143cc-e006-4b0a-9d21-dc36a2550c3f_at_y5g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...> There is command 'Optimize Table' in MySQL. What is the equivalent of
> > > this in Oracle?
> > > And if none, how to optimize an Oracle (10g) table?
>
> > > Thx.
>
> > What does optimize table in your sql do?
> > Jim
>
> Had one decided to use google.com one would have found this:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/optimize-table.html
>
> wherein the OPTIMIZE TABLE command is explained. Basically it repairs
> split (chained/migrated) rows, compacts free space, repairs indexes
> and updates table statistics. Thus, in 10.2 and later releases, which
> create statistics automagically, an
>
> alter table <tablename> move;
>
> followed by an
>
> alter index <indexname> rebuild;
>
> would perform similar 'magic'. Of course the antiquated exp/drop/imp
> scenario could still be used to 'optimize' the table. In either case
> the table is unavailable for use during the operation as both products
> lock the object for the duration of the process.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Will the alter table <tablename> move; command work without specifying any tablespace name?

Also how would you rebuild all the indexes of a table without specifying or knowing the names of indexes.

I'm searching google but so far haven't found anything.

Thanks Received on Thu Jan 31 2008 - 20:56:28 CST

Original text of this message