Re: TimeStamp

From: news.verizon.net <kennedyii_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 06:02:36 GMT

<FeedingFrenzy1947_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:93f8d589-1cd4-4914-a22e-59fb62f1d520_at_s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com... On Jan 29, 2:48 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> FeedingFrenzy1..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am trying to construct a query tool in VB6.
> > This is all i want my query to perform:
> > Select * from table where timestamp_field = Date.text
> > Any help?
> > Thanks,
> > FF
>
> Timestamps in oracle are not text - their representation
> on screen is. Dates are just like that, but have less
> resolution (1 second for date, 1 nanosecond (10^-9 sec)
> for a timestamp).
> Having said that - the representation depends on what
> format you have defined to show timestamps in. There's
> always a default, so you'll always see 'something'.
>
> Relying on the default format mask is a dangerous thing
> to do - therefor, always do an explicit conversion:
> select * from table
> where timestamp = to_timestamp(date.text,'format_mask');
> format_mask is the generic text representation of how
> your Date.text looks like.
> Definition of format masks for datetime elements can
> be found in the SQL Reference manual on tahiti.oracle.com,
> specifically:http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/sql_el...
> --
>
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up

Hi Frank,
I have a field called Time_end in my database which has the TimeStamp datatype.
i am trying to get input from the user in a textbox txtDate.Text = Format(txtDate.Text, "dd-mmm-yyyy")

Now i want to get all the values in my time_end field which were on the same date.

How do i do this?
Thanks

select * form mytable where thedate>= to_date(txtDate.Text,'dd-mon-yyyy') and
thedate<=(to_date(txtDate.Text,'dd-mon-yyyy') +1)

Remember to use bind variables in your queries Jim Received on Wed Jan 30 2008 - 00:02:36 CST

Original text of this message