Re: TimeStamp

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:48:21 +0100

FeedingFrenzy1947_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to construct a query tool in VB6.
> This is all i want my query to perform:
> Select * from table where timestamp_field = Date.text
> Any help?
> Thanks,
> FF

Timestamps in oracle are not text - their representation on screen is. Dates are just like that, but have less resolution (1 second for date, 1 nanosecond (10^-9 sec) for a timestamp).
Having said that - the representation depends on what format you have defined to show timestamps in. There's always a default, so you'll always see 'something'.

Relying on the default format mask is a dangerous thing to do - therefor, always do an explicit conversion: select * from table
where timestamp = to_timestamp(date.text,'format_mask'); format_mask is the generic text representation of how your Date.text looks like.
Definition of format masks for datetime elements can be found in the SQL Reference manual on tahiti.oracle.com, specifically:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/sql_elements004.htm#i34924

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up