Re: A synonym question

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:00:17 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 25, 2:28 pm, nspa..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 25, 3:14 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > nspa..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > > I have the following scenario:
>
> > > - Tables and views are in Schema1 and Schema2
> > > - Synonyms are created private under UserX
>
> > > this works fine no problem.
>
> > > Lately I created Schema3 and Schema4 to backup 1 and 2 respectively.
> > > Now I want to access these new schemas logging with userX and using
> > > the same synonyms, but the synonyms point to schema 1 and 2 how can I
> > > switch the same synonyms to point to schema3 and 4 dynamically?
>
> > > Thank You,
> > > Ziko
>
> > Not.
>
> > Accounts and schema's have a relationship. Your userX has
> > schemaX; schemaX has synonyms pointing to One.table_1
> > and One.view_1 (without going into the discussion whether
> > one stands for the account, or for the schema).
> > One belongs to user1 (which is schema1). You cannot
> > point to user4 'dynamically'.
>
> > Just drop the synonym, and re-create it while pointing to
> > the other schema.
>
> > The other schema's being backups, I fail to see the point
> > of this exercise. Do not touch your backup!
>
> > --
>
> > Regards,
> > Frank van Bortel
>
> > Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up- Hide quoted text -

> The new created schemas are actually an archive not backup my
> appologies.
> I want to connect with the same user and dynamically switch between
> main database and archive one.
>
> Thank You,
> Ziko- Hide quoted text -

Then you'll need to create additional synonyms pointing to your archive schema objects or drop and recreate these synonyms so they point to the desired objects; there exists no dynamic reconfiguration of synonyms in Oracle.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Jan 25 2008 - 15:00:17 CST

Original text of this message