Re: Best location for new graduates?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:42:43 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 22, 3:21 pm, kevx <k..._at_me.you> wrote:
> I'm just finishing up my B.A. in database technologies, and I've been
> looking for my first position in the field. There are lots of Oracle
> jobs in my area (Tampa, FL) but no one seems to be interested in new
> graduates with no experience. I've heard that other areas in the US
> aren't as competitive and often hire entry level with little or no
> experience. Doe's anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look
> and possibly move?
>
> Thank you!

I understand that Duluth is a hotbed of activity. <g>

Realistically, most small to medium sized shops have time and money invested in their database-dependent applications which is why they usually aren't interested in newly graduated DBAs. An inexperienced DBA might not be able to salvage or recover a database lost to hardware failure or software corruption, and the business and bottom line would suffer, hence the hesitance to hire an unproven commodity (you).

You might have some success looking toward the larger companies, as they may be hiring those with little to no experience since they also have, on staff, experienced DBAs. You should start thinking about oil companies, telecoms and other Fortune 500 enterprises as they are probably more likely to hire a new graduate.

My two cents.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Jan 22 2008 - 15:42:43 CST

Original text of this message