Re: Table analysis

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 06:17:27 -0800 (PST)

Comments embedded.
On Jan 21, 6:29 am, noon <Nun..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> What I am trying to accomplish is to get an understanding of how much
> columns are being used in a table.  We are working on creating a data
> warehouse, and I need to know which columns are important and being
> used and vice versa.  My plan is to get a number of how many nulls /
> not nulls there are for each record in the column.  Is there a tool
> that can provide this kind of table analysis?

Not that I know of. You realise that simply having non-Null values doesn't necessarily indicate that a column is being used as the column could have a default value assignment, making it populated but not necessarily indicating any usage.

You could audit these tables for activity and peruse the associated sql text to see what is being used. But, without any Oracle version information one can only speculate.

> Otherwise, I can only think of using PL/SQL to run this query against
> every single column.

I can't understand what that would do for you; as I stated earlier simply being populated doesn't mark the column as being used.

Provide the Oracle version you're using (all four or five numbers). You can't get a reasonably usable answer without this information.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Jan 21 2008 - 08:17:27 CST

Original text of this message