Re: alter index (Oracle Text index) rebuild on different schema => no rights

From: Krabatz <krabatz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 02:18:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

You write:

> > Is it possible to give a user such a special right?
>
> Certainly it is. Is it wise or prudent to do so? Not usually, and
> this doesn't appear to be a special case.

I don't see another alternative than that when the customer wants to check if the changes he made went into the system.

scenario:
- application admin user changes data (application makes insert or update)
- application admin user wants to test it and uses the search functionality (application uses Oracle Text) - no search results (customer dials my number, swearing)

Every automated solution has a delay which will be suitable in most cases but sometimes the customer wants a result immediatley. Thus he needs a bottom to invoke the rebuild of the index manually and that's why I need this right for the application user. I see and understand your concerns, but I can't see a different solution than that.

You say, it is possible to give that special right to the application user. I looked up the grant documentation (http://download.oracle.com/ docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_9013.htm#i2155015) but couldn't find the correct syntax for it.

Thanks,
Jan. Received on Mon Jan 21 2008 - 04:18:40 CST

Original text of this message