Oracle Index Question

From: Jimbo <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:49:25 -0800 (PST)

I work primarily in SQL Server and have run across a situatiion in Oracle that's troubling me....

I have a query that contains a where clause with 2 restrictions. Both these fields are in a composite index of 3 fields. If I add the third field to the restriction the optimizer uses the index, however if i keep it with just the 2 fields it does a table scan and takes forever unless I put in an index hint to use the composite index. Is this right? this a dba issue? Received on Tue Jan 15 2008 - 13:49:25 CST

Original text of this message