Re: Installation of Oracle with unixODBC

From: Andreas Thiele <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 00:51:51 +0100

DA Morgan wrote:

> Andreas Thiele wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> at least since Oracle 10.2.0 the Oracle Linux distribution contains an ODBC
>> driver which works with unixODBC. After installation of the Oracle Enterprise
>> Edition, the driver can be found at
>>
>> $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libsqora.so.10.1
>>
>> Simply using this library in odbcinst.ini (Driver = ) made ODBC work on my
>> Suse Linux Enterprise 9 installation. I can access my database with unixODBC's
>> isql odbc worksheet and query the database.
>>
>> Part of my own software does not work and causes segmentation faults when
>> calling SQLExecute. Thus my question is:
>>
>> Is there any documentation available from Oracle which explains installation
>> of ODBC under Linux? (I could not find any)
>>
>> Andreas
>
> Please don't cross-post to every usenet group you can find. All it does
> is waste bandwidth ... ours.
>
> The missing rpms can be found on the Oracle Linux CDs and installed
> using rpm -Uvh <rpm_name>

Sorry for crossposting - was not a great idea.

Well I already succeeded with installation. You don't need any rpms. At least in 10.2.0 the driver is already present after installation. All you have to do is to make it available through your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I had a bunch of parameters set, which I found at

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=479990&start=0&tstart=0

These didn't work. I throw everything out but DSN and ServerName. Now it works. But I'd not consider this a professional installation. I don't really know what I am doing. I'd like to know the meaning of all these parameters. Some info can be found in 'Oracle Database Administrator's Reference 10g Release 2 (10.2) for UNIX-Based Operating Systems' (B15658-01). I did not find installation hints or a description of odbc.ini parameters.

I had problems using unixODBC because my software, directly accessing odbc32.dll, used latin-1 encoding which works fine on Microsoft systems while unixODBC does only accept unicode even when using the ansi function version. unixODBC provides SQLPrepare and SQLPrepareW but no SQLPrepareA. After fixing this issue my Windows App now runs on Linux.

Still I'd like to have indepth infos on the mentioned parameters.

Regards
Andreas Received on Sun Jan 13 2008 - 17:51:51 CST

Original text of this message