Re: creating tables info. please

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 03:53:34 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 8, 6:44 am, Totti <saliba.toufic.geo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> hi all,
> i have some big tables i am generating in excel, and i want to create
> them in my DB, since they are many and every one is >20 000 rows,
> i want to ask if there is any way to expand the amounts of rows oracle
> takes in every copy - paste.
> because as my settings are now, when copying and pasting, oracle has a
> very limited number of rows that can be inserted, a time.
> can this limit be extended and how?
> Thanks for any help

How are you pasting the rows into Oracle?

If you have Microsoft Access, one simple method is:

* Create a link to the Excel spreadsheet in Access
* Create a link to the Oracle table in Access
* Create a simple query in Access that selects all rows from the Excel
spreadsheet
* Modify the query type of the simple query to be an append query, and instruct it to append to the Oracle table * Excute the simple query that has been modified to be an append query Access will insert all of the rows from the Excel spreadsheet into the Oracle table without requiring copy and paste.

Another method is to use a macro in Excel to insert each row into the Oracle database, but this is a bit more difficult to code than the above method.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Tue Jan 08 2008 - 05:53:34 CST

Original text of this message