Re: problem connecting to db.

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:17:01 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 6, 10:54 am, "Mr. X." <no_spam_please_at_nospam_please.com> wrote:
> I have used the depenencyWalker (version 2.2)
>
> I did start profiling, and see that some processes are in red.
> (Is that the only errors, that dependencyWalker reveals, because I didn't
> see much help for dependency-walker  ?)
>
> I saw the errors :
> AUX : this is reserved device name and not a valid file name.
>
> For : MFC42LOC.Dll, SXS.dll, UXTHEME.dll, MSDASQLR.dll :
> error openning file. The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> Most suspecious is MSDASQLR.dll.
>
> What should I do next ?
>
> Thanks :)

Dependency Walker will reveal more than just missing files, but also how files are related to each other, missing file exports (possibly indicating the wrong version is loaded, as an expected function or procedure was not located), the full path to the DLLs that are loaded, full file versions and more. To show the full path to the DLLs that are loaded, right-click one of the modules in the center pane and select Full Paths. Where this becomes very valuable is when you are able to compare a log from a successful connection with one from a login that ends in a program hang. You are able to save the log file in several formats, which each provide different levels of detail. Take a look at the output of the CSV, and Text with Import/Export Lists file formats.

I tested Dependency Walker 2.2 with two VB developed programs on XP and on Vista Ultimate. One of the programs used an Oracle 10.2.0.1/10.2.0.3 ODBC connection string, and the other used an OraOLEDB.Oracle connection string. The program using the Oracle 10.2.0.1/10.2.0.3 ODBC connection string attempted to access MSDASQLR.DLL on both XP and Vista - the file was not found on XP, but was located on Vista. There were 3 other files that could not be found on XP with Oracle 10.2.0.1/10.2.0.3 ODBC connection string, but none where among those that you listed. Possibly more importantly, the program using OraOLEDB.Oracle did not attempt to access MSDASQLR.DLL on either XP or Vista.

You might want to check the ODBC connections on the computer. Do any of the ODBC names match the name specified in the connection string?

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Sun Jan 06 2008 - 19:17:01 CST

Original text of this message