Re: Consultation required

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:54:11 -0800

Luv wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am SQl DBA professional working since 2 years and I also want to
> work on Oracle.
> So, Please suggest me that should i start with Oracle 9i or Orcale
> 10g.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Gourav

9i is in desupport and so different from 10g and 11g that there is no value in learning it.

The first thing you need to do is forget essentially everything you think you know about databases based on SQL Server starting with the way you identified yourself. SQL is not a product. SQL is not a Microsoft trademark. You are a SQL Server DBA and to the extent that you misuse the name will be treated shabbily by some.

The reality is that there are very few points of intersection between SQL Server and Oracle from the standpoint of verbiage, concepts, and architecture. Trying to leverage what you already know, rather than the skills you've developed, will cause you endless grief. The two products are far more different than they are similar.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor