Re: software licence

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 12:48:32 +0100

On 04.01.2008 11:01, Steve wrote:
> Our organisation is using an off the shelf application which has an
> Oracle database back-end. We have a licence for 10 concurrent users.

Are you talking about Oracle or third party software license here?

> We now need to have additional users access the data for view purposes
> only. As the cost of increasing the licence count is prohibitive are
> we within the law if we write our own software using VB or something
> similar to access the information on the database, without using the
> paid for app.

You should clarify this with the vendor that supplied this app. I do not see how this question is related to Oracle. You might have to pay higher license fees to Oracle based on your license model though.

> As I write this I'm thinking that as the application
> provider designed the database they will have some say in whether we
> can use our own software to access it.

Then ask /them/. You might face loss of support when accessing this application's data via other ways than through this application.

> But it is our data so would
> that be our copyright?

Well, this is a completely different question. We do not know your data nor where it came from. If you do not know the copyright status of your data how do you expect us to know it?

> I know the question is a bit vague but any suggestions would be
> appreciated. Thanks.

Indeed. "Vague" seems vaguely understated...

Cheers

        robert Received on Fri Jan 04 2008 - 05:48:32 CST

Original text of this message