Re: updating LONG datatype columns

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 09:35:49 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 2, 11:24 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> uday wrote:
> > i have a column in my database with Long datatype, and i have to
> > update the values in it.
> > when i am trying to update it via
>
> > UPDATE UM_TB_PD_BU_ACCSS SET nm_prdct_dvsn_id = 1,vc_bsnss_unt_cd =
> > '1~~8~~11~~82'
> > WHERE nm_prdct_dvsn_id = 3 AND vc_bsnss_unt_cd = '-1';
>
> > oracle issues a "ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype" error.
>
> > can some help on this issue?
>
> http://tahiti.oracle.com
> Look up LONG
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington

uday, I would suggest you look specifically at the Long data type entry in the Concepts manual chapter on Oracle native data types where you can find this statement >> You can use LONG columns in SELECT lists, SET clauses of UPDATE statements, and VALUES clauses of INSERT statements. <<

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Jan 02 2008 - 11:35:49 CST

Original text of this message