Re: problem connecting to db.

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:17:41 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 30, 10:26 am, "Mr. X." <no_spam_please_at_nospam_please.com> wrote:
> Thanks ...
> Some things :
>
> I am sorry for my bad English, so in some cases I may be understood :
> Client <-> Server :
> I didn't mean that there is a user that running a specific application on
> the server.
> I call for the Server : Oracle, and the Client : my program, that runs by a
> windows-schedule.
> (On the machine : Windows 2000).
>
> Also, the only message I have seen on listener.ora is
> TNS-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested
> in connect descriptor
> (and I see it occured when running sql-plus, once for some debugging , and
> the schedule-programs don't hang at that time...)
>
> In Sqlnet.ora I have messages that related to the programs of my schedules,
> the same as you described.
> (long time ago, and not when my programs hang last time) - that seems to be
> weird - is that related to the problem I have describe on first time ?
>
> (the programs still hang once for 1-3 days generally - like lottery - I
> don't know exactly when and which of my schedules ...).
>
> Thanks :)

Just to list what you have stated previously: * Oracle Server 9.2.0.6 running on Windows 2000 * VB6 client running on the same server, attempting to connect using OraOLEDB.Oracle
* VB6 client is started using the Windows task scheduler * Connection attempt sometimes causes the VB6 program to hang, once every 1 to 3 days
* Alert log shows a possibly unrelated error "SMON: Parallel transaction recovery tried" sometimes when the connection hangs * Listener log file does not indicate a problem when the client hangs during connection attempts
* Sqlnet.log file shows some error activity for the client program, but nothing recorded when the client hangs during connection attempts

Are there any other files in the bdump or udump folders that are created when the client hangs? Look in the Windows 2000 event logs, specifically the Application event logs. Are there any event log entries when the client hangs during connection attempts - you may see errors like "Could not allocate memory..." Is it possible to run the client program on another computer?

On the computer that has the Microsoft Visual Basic 6 editor, make certain that you have installed either service pack 3 or service pack 4 for Visual Studio (98). Also, install MDAC 2.8 on the computer with Microsoft Visual Basic 6, and on the server. Create a new setup package for the VB6 program, and then run the setup package on the server. Make certain that the server has Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000 installed.

When the problem occurs, execute the following in SQL*Plus to see if you are having a problem with the maximum number of sessions: SELECT
  COUNT(*) CUR_SESSIONS,
  MAX_SESSIONS,
  MAX_PROCESSES
FROM
  V$SESSION,
  (SELECT
    MAX(DECODE(NAME,'sessions',VALUE,NULL)) MAX_SESSIONS,     MAX(DECODE(NAME,'processes',VALUE,NULL)) MAX_PROCESSES   FROM
    V$PARAMETER
  WHERE
    NAME IN ('sessions','processes'))
GROUP BY
  MAX_SESSIONS,
  MAX_PROCESSES; You may see something like this:
CUR_SESSIONS MAX_SESSIONS MAX_PROCESSES

         209 226 210

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Sun Dec 30 2007 - 21:17:41 CST

Original text of this message