Re: ORA-12514 with 10g Install

From: shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:45:11 +0100

"Scout" <scout1024_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht news:9a1789ac-6ee5-403c-853b-080eef54efab_at_s48g2000hss.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for all your inputs. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday!!!
>
> David,
>
> 1. I have XP professional.
> 2. Here is a clarification on the listener startup. When I reboot, the
> listener is always not started and the OracleServiceXE is. On manual
> startup of the listener, it does start,but with some errors. And it
> fails to bind to the database instance.
> Here is the output of the lsnrctl start:
>
> LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 26-
> DEC-2007 10:50:53
>
> Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.
>
> Starting tnslsnr: please wait...
>
> TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
> Message 279 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK,
> facility=NL
> Message 1073 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK,
> facility=TNS
> Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)
> (KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))
> TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
> TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
> TNS-00511: No listener
> 32-bit Windows Error: 2: No such file or directory
> Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=localhost)
> (PORT=1521)))
> STATUS of the LISTENER
> ------------------------
> Alias LISTENER
> Version TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version
> 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
> Start Date 26-DEC-2007 10:50:57
> Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 4 min. 46 sec
> Trace Level off
> Security ON: Local OS Authentication
> SNMP OFF
> Listener Log File listener.log
> Listening Endpoints Summary...
> (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=XYZ.domain.com)
> (PORT=1521)))
> The listener supports no services
> The command completed successfully.
>

> Arch,
>
> 3. I do have a copy of the listener.ora file before I edited it. And I
> did try to restore it and the tnsnames.ora and try them , but I get
> the same result.
>
> Shakespeare,
>
> 4. You mentioned "Instead of using localhost (IIRC that won't work)
> you should use a local
> loopback adapter with a fixed ip address. On windows, it should be the
> last
> installed network device (for it will show up as first for the
> installer).
> Put this one fully qualified in your host-file (first entry) and run
> the
> installer. "
>
> How do I do that?

You can install a new network card (control panel / hardware). I don't know the exact sequence, but here is what you do: select add hardware in control panel, act like you already put it in your machine, say you want to install manually, and then select network adapter/microsoft, you'll find a loopback adapter there, install it as if it's a real network card. Give it an address (normally, it's in the 169.x.x.x range, keep it there). Put the ip address with any name you like (but fully qualified, like mymachine.mynetwork.com mymachine) on top in your host file, for example 169.0.0.11 mydbserver.home.com mydbserver and install your database. Since it is the last network card installed, and it's on top in your host file, the DB will install as if running on this machine.

Shakespeare Received on Thu Dec 27 2007 - 13:45:11 CST

Original text of this message