Re: Best way to connect MS Access 2007 to Oracle 8 database?

From: TD <dlee_at_adsi-sc.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:32:36 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 20, 9:03 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> TD wrote:
> > I am new to Oracle. I need to connect to a Oracle 8 database to
> > extract some data. I have read some of the postings and wonder what
> > is the least involved way to connect the two. Is the Oracle OLE
> > driver (not OLEDB) good?
> > I would prefer not install the Oracle client if I don't have to. All
> > I need to do is ,once a day, connect to Oracle, run a passthru query
> > and disconnect.
>
> > Any thoughts???
> > Thanks,
> > TD
>
> Install the Oracle client.
>
> Nothing about what you are trying to do is good. Oracle 8 is
> paleolithic and likely the version of MS Access you are trying
> to use didn't exist when Oracle 8 did. This is all a remarkably
> bad idea. What is it you think you are going to do in Access
> you couldn't do inside the database other than corrupt the data?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington

The database account is set to read only and we'll be running select queries only so I doubt we'll damage the database. We need to extract data that is in Oracle into a MS Access 2007 program on laptops that will taken out into the field. I'm not sure how else we can accomplish that by "doing it inside the database"!

TD Received on Thu Dec 20 2007 - 11:32:36 CST