Re: Merging Oracle and active directory

From: Pedro Lopes <pedro.lopes_at_netvisao.pt>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 00:13:02 +0000

Aquiles.- wrote:
> On Dec 19, 4:13 am, "stevedhow..._at_gmail.com" <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> On Dec 14, 3:50 pm, "Aquiles.-" <aqco..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi.
>>> Anyone can guide me on this.
>>> I have a legacy structure where i have 12000 clients. each client has
>>> a password.
>>> Table_Name = clients
>>> Fields=  Identificaction, Name, LastName, Password, Active
>>> 1) any idea about how can create users on LDAP based system ( openldap
>>> or active directory ) based on this structure.
>>> 2) the solution must active o disable the client on LDAP system if the
>>> Active field on oracle table it's true or false.
>>> please advice me.

>> Hi,
>>
>> openldap has a well defined API.  You should be able to extract your
>> data from your tables and build the ldif file(s) to populate your LDAP
>> schema.  However, that assumes that the openldap infrastructure
>> (service, schema, object model, etc.) is already built.  I can't tell
>> it that is true based on your question that asks how to create a user
>> based on it (Oracle), with the next one asking how to disable access
>> based on it.  Aren't you doing a one time cutover from your current
>> table based setup to LDAP?
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Steve

> OK thanks Steve.
>
> Pedro, Sybrand i heard that using Oracle Virtual Directory each user
> on the active directory it's a user on the database system. it's that
> true? Is This Oracle Virtual Directory necesary if only want to
> syncronice a table with client information to LDAP based system?
>
> Thanks

That's not the point of a virtual directory.

Check details here:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/id_mgmt/ovds/index.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_directory

hope it helps,
pedro Received on Wed Dec 19 2007 - 18:13:02 CST