Re: can't create table from package

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:03:49 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 13, 12:51 am, Kai Rode <nik..._at_web.de> wrote:
> >What is evil & wrong is doing DDL from inside PL/SQL.
>
> >I wish that Oracle never had created EXECUTE IMMEDIATE to allow such
> >nonsense.
>
> DDL in PL/SQL has its uses. How else are you going to write an installation
> script for database objects which is
>
> a) safely re-runnable
> b) is not allowed to throw any exceptions about already existing objects on
> re-run
>
> Don't have EXCEPTION or IF in pure SQL...

And with 10g and later releases there is CREATE SCHEMA, which would preclude the use of PL/SQL to create database objects on product installation, which creates all or nothing should an error occur. Seems that would make it safe to rerun should difficulties arise.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Dec 13 2007 - 08:03:49 CST