Re: CRS Error

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:08:44 -0800

Michael Austin wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:

>> madunix wrote:
>>> Production servers: RAC Oracle 10g, AIX 5.3 ML3, 2 Nodes IBM
>>> pSeries 550.
>>> Symptoms:
>>> CRS Status "Can not communicate with CRS" After the reboot the first
>>> Node, the Node was
>>> not able to rejoin the cluster RAC reported CRS communication error,
>>> after that the error
>>> transferred to the next Node, so the nodes were not able to
>>> interconnect to each other
>>> #CRS-Stat
>>> CRS - 0184: can not communicate with the CRS daemon.
>>> In fact the CRS is configured to start after reboot, and it ran as
>>> root.
>>> We tried many times to ran healthy check on the 2xNodes,
>>> by doing "$CRS-Home/bin/crsctl check crs as away to determine
>>> if the daemons are running, combined with monitoring "ps" for the
>>> processes,
>>> with no success!
>>> Any input would be really appreciated
>>> Thanks
>> Run the cluster verify tool.
>> Have you verified the connection by pinging across it?
> Daniel,
> Have you been successful in using multiple cross-over interfaces for
> cluster interconnect?  On Solaris, I have used IPMP (active/passive),
> but would like this to be active/active.
> Michael.

What is required is a couple of GigE NIC cards with a cat 5E or cat 6 piece of copper connecting them through a gig switch ... nothing more. Get the basics working first.

Then go for multipathing as a separate step.

I've personally not had experience with Solaris's implementation but I know people that have. Check here:
In fact there is an online meeting Wednesday so join us. Erik Peterson will be there and he's the head of the RAC Pack at Oracle.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group