Re: "Hands on training" requirement for latest OCA/OCP certification?

From: <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 06:33:53 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 6, 5:31 am, dana..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Read briefly on Oracle's web site that they've added a "hands-on"
> training requirement to the OCA/OCP certs... to "enhance their value"
> or some such.
>
> My question is this: is this a revenue enhancement upgrade, meaning
> must one take Oracle University instructor-led courses as part of
> getting an OCA/OCP? Terribly expensive if a person has to pay out of
> pocket / not get reimbursed.
>
> Is it safe to say CBTs are out for getting an OCP? What about online
> training? Can that still be considered having a "hands on" component?
> Heck, Oracle is free for development purposes, and/or could easily be
> shared out via Citrix.
>
> There's an OCP program offered by a local university for $3,500.
> Rather expensive, yet cheaper than taking instructor-led Oracle
> University classes. Cheaper still, I imagine, would be CBTs. But
> again, it seems like Oracle has eliminated this as a path toward
> getting the OCP certification--or at least fully.
>
> Any suggestions on getting an OCP inexpensively? Perhaps some
> combination of CBTs--can anyone recommend a good Oracle CBT company) /
> online training (again, suggestions appreciated), and the minimum
> amount of "hands on" classes one is required to take.
>
> Thanks very much.

Hi Dana,

This may no longer apply, but for the 9i one I used selftestsoftware.com (I think that's right, but you can google it), and it was as close as you can get to what was expected on the exam. For the 10g upgrade, I used the one from Osborne. Although replete with technical errors and poor structure, it was sufficient to prepare me for what was expected on the exam.

AFAIK, classes from Oracle are required for 10g, but try education.oracle.com for more info.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=151

HTH, Steve Received on Thu Dec 06 2007 - 08:33:53 CST