Re: How to store emails with fulltext index

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:18:17 +0100

Marten Lehmann wrote:
> Hello,
>

>> And no - Oracle is an RDBMS, not an email server, and does not
>> know email record types.

> well, I just thought that some databases have special record types for
> objects, 3d coordinates, barcodes etc.; so maybe some database has
> RFC822 as well.

3d coordinates are just numbers.
barcodes are just strings - your print font is off :)

[snip]

>> Oh - and varchar2 objects can be text indexed as well; guess
>> the majority of mails fits in 4000 characters (using a decent
>> mail program, that produces plain text), like TBird

> I wouldn't swear that all messages have a size of less than 4000
> characters. Surely, most messages are smaller, but what shall I do with
> messages greater than that? Is the maximum limit of varchar2 really 4k?
> I cannot imagine that. I've seen much greater values at MySQL,
> Postgresql or Sybase.

Add a line# column; anything less than 4k: line 1, less than 8k, two lines, etc etc.
That's why Oracle has CLOBs - would 4GB/column be sufficient?

Oh – this reply counts 1108 characters

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel