Re: How to store emails with fulltext index

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:05:27 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 27, 2:38 pm, Marten Lehmann <lehmannmap..._at_cnm.de> wrote:

> > Oh - and varchar2 objects can be text indexed as well; guess
> > the majority of mails fits in 4000 characters (using a decent
> > mail program, that produces plain text), like TBird
>
> I wouldn't swear that all messages have a size of less than 4000
> characters. Surely, most messages are smaller, but what shall I do with
> messages greater than that? Is the maximum limit of varchar2 really 4k?
> I cannot imagine that. I've seen much greater values at MySQL,
> Postgresql or Sybase.

Limits are documented: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/limits001.htm#sthref4180

From http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/6.0/en/char.html :

"The effective maximum length of a VARCHAR is subject to the maximum row size (65,535 bytes, which is shared among all columns) and the character set used."

Perhaps we can chalk this up to "the simpler tool is easier to use, until it isn't."

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Yo mama!  http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2206335,00.html?gusrc=rss&amp;feed=technology