Re: Does CHR(10) add an extra newline?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:41:26 +0100

Brian Tkatch wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 04:32:22 -0800 (PST), Frank van Bortel
> <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 21 nov, 20:53, Brian Tkatch <N/A> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:40:24 -0800 (PST), "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net"

> <SNIP>
>> You normally would not create views "on the fly"...

> True. But i don't see what that has to do with anything. I did not
> mean to sound like i was complaining how i want something to work. I
> am asking why it works the way that it does.

It is quite often an indication of (bad) SQL Server habits being ported to Oracle. Oracle does things differently; it's better to start with that in mind. Creating objects on the fly is something that should not be permitted in any environment, even SQL Server.
For SQL Server, temporary tables may be an exception.

I just wanted to point that out... There's one exception, I can think of - when delivering an update (or install) script for maintenance purposes.

>> Apart from that - there's no need for carriage returns in DDL,

> There is, if i want it to look pretty. :)

Well - who's going to see the code? It was my understanding the code being generated was to be executed, using dynamic SQL? [snip!]

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...