Re: Where to do Data Validation?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:53:10 -0800

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

> And, as a result your data is
> vulnerable to attack. So much for your 'controlled environment'.

Controlled environments exist in Fantasy Land and laboratories. Not on real-world production servers.

>> And that was what the programmers wanted.

> And programmers run the show where you are? I can now understand why
> data validation is so low in priority on your list.

Makes me wonder what hotdog stand uses Oracle software.

>> Mostly because
>> it was easy to understand, and could be changed without a change
>> request to the DBAs which is usually more pain than it is worth.

> Ensuring data integrity is more of a pain than having a continuingly
> running application? This sounds more like a paint and body shop than
> an IT shop.

Body shop ... hot dog stand ... he's definitely making an impression.

>>> Putting validation into the application will never, EVER, keep someone
>>> with SQL*Plus from destroying it.
>> Unless it is a controlled environment.

> Define that and implement it in a foolproof (and user-proof) manner.
> Then see how much work you actually can get done.

Then add Pete Finnigan, 10 minutes, and stir.

>> While i understand your sentiment--indeed, they are my feelings as
>> well--it just is not that way in the "real world" when the programmer
>> considers the DB just a convenient place to store data.

> If the inmates are running the asylum you have more to worry about
> than data integrity.

We are talking to one of the inmates. I can't think of a single one of Oracle's customers I know that would tolerate this nonsense for even ten minutes.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor