Re: idle sessions from ADO.NET despite closing them?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:09:20 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 16, 11:32 am, jobs <j..._at_webdos.com> wrote:
> I connect to Oracle and close the connection in my code every time.
> Dispite that sessions remain idle showing following:
>
> ALTER SESSION SET NLS_LANGUAGE= 'AMERICAN' NLS_TERRITORY= 'AMERICA'
> NLS_CURRENCY= '$' NLS_ISO_CURRENCY= 'AMERICA' NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS=
> '.,' NLS_CALENDAR= 'GREGORIAN' NLS_DATE_FORMAT= 'DD-MON-RR'
> NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE= 'AMERICAN' NLS_SORT= 'BINARY' TIME_ZONE= '-05:00'
> NLS_COMP= 'BINARY' NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY= '$' NLS_TIME_FORMAT=
> 'HH.MI.SSXFF AM' NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT= 'DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM'
> NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT= 'HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR' NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT= 'DD-
> MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR'
>
> I'm not sure if related, but my connection string has this set to
> true:
>
> Persist Security Info=True
>
> The dba has set idle sessions to be killed after 10 minutes. And Ive
> set IIS to kill idle sessions after 10 minutes of inactivity.
>
> However, I still occassionally hit the max number of processes in
> Oracle.
>
> Thanks for any help or information.

Just because you connect and disconnect in your application does not mean that .net is not using connection pooling of some type. What is the .net release level? I do not remember the details but we had a developer that wrote a .net application that created a new session every time it ran. We hit max processes over and over till I convenced another developer to look into the issue. They found some parameters that they set. I am pretty sure one was set in the application and another outside the individual program but in the software.

Your problem could be different but use v$session to verify if one applicaiton is spawing tons of processes.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Nov 16 2007 - 13:09:20 CST