Re: What is the most widely used RAID type for Oracle databases?

From: Bill <edison_at_newpaltz.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:10:11 -0500

joel garry wrote:

> On Nov 15, 3:54 am, Bill <edi..._at_newpaltz.edu> wrote:
>

>>Maybe too broad a question.
>>Is RAID 10 pretty much now the rule of thumb?
>>
>>Hope things are going well,
>>Bill

> I think RAID5 is the most widely used these days. It works ok, except
> when it doesn't. "Doesn't" usually includes situations such as write
> buffer saturation and degraded hardware situations (ie, bad disk). Of
> course, if one more disk than the number you have set for redundancy
> goes bad (like if another disk is pulled out while a new one is being
> rebuilt) the effects are similar to the old "ripper" virus on DOS.
>
> For heavily loaded systems, much of the saturation problem can be
> avoided by moving things that are heavily serially written to RAID10
> (or whatever) - like redo.

Yeah that's what we're doing now (actually the entire thing is RAID 10 but probably shouldn't be as it uses quite a bit of space and it isn't write intensive.

> Is http://www.baarf.com/ out of date? Perhaps, more modern 5's have
> pretty big buffer hardware. But http://storagemojo.com/?p=383

Thanks!!! (= =(8

> Since it probably isn't clear, I think RAID10 is far superior for what
> Oracle does.

You mean as in overkill?

  But that isn't the subject. What is most widely used is
> what is most widely sold, and that isn't necessarily based on
> technical superiority or proper requirements analysis. It's based on
> money and somewhat on hype. RAID5 is, simply, cheaper - and isn't
> that what the I in RAID is?

Thanks!!! Time and thoughts much appreciated.