Re: What is the most widely used RAID type for Oracle databases?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:49:54 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 15, 3:54 am, Bill <edi..._at_newpaltz.edu> wrote:
> Maybe too broad a question.
> Is RAID 10 pretty much now the rule of thumb?
>
> Hope things are going well,
> Bill

I think RAID5 is the most widely used these days. It works ok, except when it doesn't. "Doesn't" usually includes situations such as write buffer saturation and degraded hardware situations (ie, bad disk). Of course, if one more disk than the number you have set for redundancy goes bad (like if another disk is pulled out while a new one is being rebuilt) the effects are similar to the old "ripper" virus on DOS.

For heavily loaded systems, much of the saturation problem can be avoided by moving things that are heavily serially written to RAID10 (or whatever) - like redo.

Is http://www.baarf.com/ out of date? Perhaps, more modern 5's have pretty big buffer hardware. But http://storagemojo.com/?p=383

Since it probably isn't clear, I think RAID10 is far superior for what Oracle does. But that isn't the subject. What is most widely used is what is most widely sold, and that isn't necessarily based on technical superiority or proper requirements analysis. It's based on money and somewhat on hype. RAID5 is, simply, cheaper - and isn't that what the I in RAID is?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.